Much is in the news these days about health care reform, also known as the Affordable Care Act. But regardless of your political position, there are a few basics about the the Affordable Care Act, or health care reform, that you need to know, and how it affects you.
First, the new health care law is designed to give you (the consumer) more control over your healthcare by offering new ways to shop, compare and buy insurance in the new online healthcare marketplace (to learn more visit www.healthcare.gov.)
Second, the marketplace will offer you four tiers in which to choose a health insurance plan. The tier you select will determine your cost sharing ratio for medical expenses. For example:
- Bronze Plans: Insurance company’s share is 60% – Your share is 40%
- Silver Plans: Insurance company’s share is 70% – Your share is 30%
- Gold Plans: Insurance company’s share is 80% – Your share is 20%
- Platinum Plans: Insurance company’s share is 90% – Your share is 10%
Third, depending on your age, gender, tobacco usage, geographic location, and your ability to qualify for tax credits (determination based on your adjusted gross income), how much you actually end up paying for your premium and other out-of-pocket expenses gets complicated. We’ll save that topic for another blog.
Finally (and perhaps most important,) you need to have a plan if you cannot:
- afford the new Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum plan premiums (4% to 9.5% of your adjusted gross income)
- afford to pay deductibles (10% to 40% based on plan), co-pays and other out-of-pocket expenses
- afford a separate monthly premium for dental and vision insurance (adult dental and vision services are not essential health benefits under Obamacare) or
- qualify for tax credits and subsidies
To protect yourself and your loved ones from the devastating financial impact of an unexpected hospital stay or emergency room visit consider signing up for a discount dental plans and healthcare plans here. Although a discount program is not insurance, a top-notch program can significantly reduce your out-of-pocket expenses while providing you access to affordable, quality service providers. Furthermore, to help families avoid financial ruin, some Discount Health Plans and discount dental plans even include hospital advocacy services to assist with high medical bills. Hospital advocates take a team approach and work with all parties involved to find ways to negotiate a lower bill and establish payment plans when appropriate.
So if you’re looking for an alternative to the Affordable Care Act, consider a reputable and well established discount health plan or one of our quality discount dental plans.
AmeriPlan USA is one of the reputable discount programs available to individuals within the United States. AmeriPlan’s Platinum Freedom Pass, Total Platinum and Healthcare Plan all provide you with that alternative.
AmeriPlan discount health and dental plans are designed to save you money while providing the health and dental care you and your family needs. Get started now and you’ll be amazed at the level of medical and dental services and the low cost.